Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Adding Trim to Ikea Drapes


A few weeks ago you got a little peek of my living room drapes when I showed you my new lumbar pillows.




These drapes actually came from Ikea in a package of 2 for $24.99! I have always loved the relaxed feel of white grommet drapes, but knew I needed to add a little punch of color to tie in the rest of the space.




I decided on the yellow Moroccan fabric that I also used on recovering the rocking chair last fall. I also fell in love with these curtain rods in brushed nickel from West Elm.




Because the drapes were pretty long and my ceilings are 9ft, it took a while to cut the fabric to the right length. But once the fabric was cut, the rest was easy! I turned each side under 1/4 of an inch and pressed it with an iron. I pinned the fabric in place along the edge of the drape and stitched 1/8 of an inch on all four sides. (BTW..I did have pictures of these steps, but can I find the SD card with them? Nope!...so sorry for all the words and no pictures!)

If you don't know how to sew, no problem! You could also turn each side under like above and then use stitch witchery to adhere the fabric to the drape! I use stitch witchery all the time and it is fabulous!

I was very excited to finally have some curtains in this space. It really brings your eye up and creates a more open feel to the living room. And...I love how they blend with the new pillows!







What do you all think? Would you ever try diy-ing a little trim on your drapes or pillows?



Linked up: Liz Marie Blog & Serenity Now

10 comments:

  1. Looks great. I have IKEA curtains and I've wanted to do similar but can't decide the best width of the "trim" ... how wide did you use cause the proportions work well. Thanks. Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin! I feel as though the trim is perfectly proportioned as well. I cut it 6 inches wide and then folded 1/4 inch on both sides. So 5 1/2 are showing right now. If you go too much narrower you don't get quite the affect. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. My site did that last week. I freaked! I hot glue gunned trim to several drapes in my first home. It was easy and looked great! Love your new curtains! They're perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. umm yep, freaking out was definitely happening over here! Especially because I want my site to look pretty for the Haven Conference. Never thought about hot gluing trim, but I am sure it works just like stitch witchery! Great idea. Thanks for your sweet comment!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I am really loving the color it brings to the room!

      Delete
  4. Trim makes a big difference - it is the details, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure is Laurel! Small details can make such a big impact in a space. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews